I found a good article from the American Psychological Association’s Society for the Study of Social Issues on Sexual Identity Development of Children Raised by Gay and Lesbian Parents.
The article points out that scientific studies confirm that the sexual identities of children who grow up with same sex parents develop in much the same way as children of heterosexual parents. The article summarizes numerous studies over many years and finds:
- Studies show that children of same-sex couples show normal gender identity development and gender role behavior.
- Children of same-sex couples were no more likely to have same-sex attractions than children of heterosexual couples.
- No difference can be found among teenagers of same-sex and opposite-sex couples regarding teen sexual activity.
- Lesbian mothers and heterosexual mothers do not differ in their perceptions of ideal gender role behavior.
- No difference in sexual orientation between men with gay fathers or those with heterosexual fathers.